Raid My Minibar: Don't get laid. Get Raid.


What makes up YOUR fandom?
Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First off...



THANK YOU FOR 100 SUBSCRIBERS!!!

I've not even found the time to thank you guys for 90 subscribers and suddenly there's 100 awesome people subscribed to my blog! Thanks so much for supporting my blog, even if I am far too busy to blog as much as I have in the past. D: I'll try my best to continue writing entertaining posts for all 103 of you!

(But honestly, how many of you are just here for the jpr0n? xD)

Anyways, here I am stealing inspiration again. I don't think that makes any sense but you know.

Everyone looks for something different in their fandom. Some look for the power vocals, some look for the insane-instrument-skillage and some are just looking for wank worthy eyecandy. Here's just an analysis of my own fandom and what I look for when it comes to liking a group/singer.

I've narrowed down the factors (or rather, squeezed my poor brains for these factors) to the ten below (I know I know, I have like an OCD for top 10 or something, IT NEEDS TO BE 10 ROAR). They are:
  • Voice
  • Music Style
  • Dance
  • Looks
  • Personality(-ies)
  • Live performances
  • Friendliness of the fandom (Fans and such)
  • Popularity
  • Gheyness
  • Amount of fanfiction written for them
I know a few of these factors don't matter to some of you, and there are some factors that matter to you not listed here. For example, I really can't be bothered if a group can play instruments or not. It's seriously not my thing. Feel free to share your own list!

And here's an explanation of the various factors, starting with the least important to me and working my way up.

(Oh crap, I can't decide which is more important! ARGH.)

[10th most important factor: Friendliness of the fandom]


While this is quite important, most fandoms are really friendly to begin with so I'm not too picky about this.

And also, you can generally avoid this altogether if you just read forums and refuse to participate in them.

That said, if the reverse is true for the fandom (the fans are all bitches and stuff), then I would be highly discouraged to continue liking the group/singer. It's a silly reason I know, but it kind of puts shame on the group/singer if the fans are total assholes, doesn't it?

It's probably just me, but the worst fandom in terms of friendliness (or how much I like the fans) is AAA. Many of the fans are total showoffs, prudes, and just plan obnoxious. Competition amongst fans (the unfriendly kind), massive amounts of bitching and selfishness is just normal day-to-day stuff you'd see in an AAA forum.

But of course, I've met some of the best people in my virtual life in the AAA fandom - Kimitsu, Mandy and icy. I'm sure there're still nice people in the fandom, but the bad ones just stick out way more obviously.

Surprisingly, the best fandom probably belongs to any JE fandom in general. The fans, though silly and over-the-top at times, tend to stick together and fangasm over the boys together. Not my kind of thing, but I'm just saying.

[9th most important factor: Popularity]

I'll be honest, I'm a darned posessive fan. I'm almost always half a step away from screaming "MINE MINE GO AWAY" (though it has happened a few times in this blog, ahem). So naturally, it would make sense that if the fandom is smaller, I'd be happier because there are less people to "compete" with me for the idols.

I'm a silly fanboy I know. Please don't look down on me?

[8th most important factor: Live performances]

I tend to look down on groups who do badly live.

Ahem, JE, ahem.

In fact, it's a major plus point if a group does really well live, especially if they dance neatly (I'm a sucker for these) and if they sing on-key (ahem, JE, ahem).



In Jpop, the groups/singers that are the best live performers include: AAA, Hirai Ken, Koda Kumi, ikimono gakari.

[7th most important factor: Dance]

I think this factor is partly because of my love for watching live performances and how good they are. Dance plays a big part in upbeat live performances, so naturally it would be a big factor for me.

Sadly, most Jpop groups don't do well in dancing, with only a handful being amazing.

Best dancers in Jpop include AAA and Perfume (OMGAH PERFUME's dances are INSANE).

[6th most important factor: Gheyness]



Um, yeah. Ghey love is good love. Enough said.

[5th most important factor: Personalities]

I've mentioned in a previous post that I dislike stars with no personalities. Here what I said in that post:

The list includes artistes like Namie Amuro (dead but sexy fish), Aragaki Yui (oh so fragile virgin) and Kobukuro (yawn). Kimitsu once mentioned that these artistes downplay their personality to make it "all about the music". But seriously though, why can't an artiste have both? And even so, some of these artistes aren't even amazing in terms of music. Get a personality please, Japanese TV doesn't need to be more boring than it already is.

[4th most important factor: Voice]

Most of Jpop tend to be very nasally and kiddy sounding, so it's kind of hard to find someone with a good voice. I remember reading once that it is partly due to their language structure - the monosyllabic-ness makes it sound childish - but I think it's mostly due to their culture and how they love all things cute.

I like power voices that are clear and unique, and I really can't bring myself to like a group/singer if they sing badly.

The good voices in Jpop include Ayaka, Koda Kumi, Tegomasu, Sueyoshi Shuta, Urata Naoya and Hirai Ken. (Notice how they sing well live too?)

[3rd most important factor: Amount of fanfiction written for them]

I know this is probably the weirdest factor in the list, but this is way too important for me to leave out.

I LOVE READING FANFICTION.

To be honest, I just like reading to begin with. And I like making up stories in my head. Mix that with a fandom and BOOM - fanfiction.

I like "knowing" my favorite idols better through fanfiction. More often than not, I'd fall in love with the fanfiction-idol and compare it with the real life one to spot for similarities. And more often than not, there will be many (so that the fic writers don't get accused of writing these idols "out of character", or OOC).

And also because there is so much sex in fanfiction are so many talented writers out there. *nods innocently*

[2nd most important factor: Looks]

I'm a superficial bitch. So sue me. At least I admit it! Don't you just hate fans who go "oh I love so-and-so because he is so sweet" or "she's my perfect girl because she can bake cakes" and things like that?

Admit it, a sweet, cake-baking but ugly-ass person will not win fans. Looks will.

Too many people in Jpop look too good (Leah Dizon, Kamei Eri, Fujimoto Miki, Sueyoshi Shuta, Urata Naoya, Hirai Ken...), so I shall mention non-singing-artistes instead (HAHAHA BRACKETS RULE). Good looking people in J-media include Mukai Osamu and Kurara Chibana (Miss Japan for 2006 or something).


Kurara will turn anyone evil. SHE'S TOO DAMNED SEXY.

[Most important factor: Music Style]

At the end of the day, music style is still the most important factor when it comes to me choosing a group/singer to like. They can be totally awesome but if their style totally doesn't fit mine, it'll be an uphill battle (case in point: WaT).

I generally like bubblegum pop (NEWS), power pop (Koda Kumi), dance pop (AAA), soul (Hirai Ken), hip-hop (or hip-pop) and house. I know that sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Basically, if you've been a regular reader, you should know the kind of music I like - strong memorable melody, cracktastic, high.

What is your ranking like? I'm sure there are a few additional "special" factors people have that I don't. Do share!

(P.S: Jpop has been so damned boring lately. Someone get pregnant/sleep over at boyfriend's place/make inappropriate fluid comments already!)

Labels: , , , , ,

10 comments! Post a comment! I do this for free you know?