Raid My Minibar: Don't get laid. Get Raid.


My pick!: Top 40 Kpop songs (Rank 21st to 40th)
Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I know what you must be thinking. 40 songs?

But yeah, couldn't help it. There really was that many good songs in Kpop this year. Sad isn't it, when you compare Jpop to it?

(By the way, I really can't be bothered to upload all the songs this time, because I am so tired. Sorry.)

Number 40: MBLAQ - Oh Yeah!



Latin music? Not, it's all just a ruse. It kind of sounds like macho stripper music, which is exactly what they are in the music video anyways. Oh I can just see you guys frantically searching for them on Youtube now.

Number 39: f(x) - Lachata



This song is honestly much better when you hear the live versions (I'm guessing the audience shouting has something to do with it). Think more preppy and more modern Moulin Rouge.

Number 38: Kara - Honey



Cute as hell, these girls give any H!P groups (and AKB48 for that matter) a run for their money ANY day. Typical girly group stuff, so H!P fans rejoice!

Number 37: SHINee - Stand By Me



Pretty boys with pretty voices singing a pretty and refreshing song. You know nothing can go wrong with that.

Number 36: Kara - Wanna



The one thing that you'll notice upon first listen to this song is that it has about 2 dominant lyrics with the rest of the song not mattering. But when they repeat it a gazillion times, you would most likely be stuck with the tune in your head. Which is why this song is on this list. Hopefully this helps me get it out of my system. But seriously, catchy as hell, cute yet sexy at the same time. Not many groups can pull that off.

Number 35: Mighty Mouth - Love Class



The only way I know how to describe Mighty Mouth's sound is that they're the m-flo of Korea. And they do awesome collaborations with other artists too (this one's with UEE from After School and Hyuna from 4minute I think?)! It's all round lighthearted fun (the MV is cracktastic) and the girls do well with the chirpy chorus while the guys do their macho thing.

Number 34: Big Bang - So Fresh, So Cool



Very different from the clubby stuff you'd usually hear from Big Bang, this song is not exactly the fresh and cool song it calls itself. Nonetheless, the song is fun with slightly more edge than your regular pop offering these days.

Number 33: SS501 - Love like this



SS501 has also succumbed to the power of autotune and this is the result. But for some reason, SS501 sounds stubbornly pop even with all the added sparkles. Kinda like "Take on me" by A1, which you know is supposed to not be pop (more like techno) but it ends up sounding like a bubblegum pop song anyways.

Yeah I don't explain this well. Deal with it.

Number 32: SS501 - Because I'm Stupid



This is the best OST to a Kdrama for this year. I can't even begin to gush the sort of gooeyness I feel when I play this song. It's slightly sad, slightly dramatic and all parts awesome. It does have that very distinct "drama ending" vibe to it though, which might be what's causing all these strange emotions in me.

Number 31: 2NE1 - I Don't Care



I don't see why EVERYONE is falling over themselves for this song, but it's still pretty nice. The "I don't care eh eh eh eh eh~" line is so addictive to just chant to random classmates (who give me very weird looks) and the tune is kept clean enough, so I guess that should work.

Number 30: Daesung - It's a big hit!



And Daesung with his trot stuff always amuses me. For those of you who are not familar with trot, it's basically old-school Korean music. Think oily singing and slurs and cabaret and band all mixed together, then getting a grandma to sing it. That's about as close a description I can give.

While it's not as memorable or catchy as his previous trot single (Nal Bwa Gwisoon), this song if given the chance will stay adamantly in your head and you will fall in love with it. It's a weird feeling really.

Number 29: 2NE1 - FIRE



Gangsta girls, what could be more funny? But seriously, this is a pretty decent dance track, perhaps just a tad too hip-hop for me.

Number 28: G-Dragon - Breathe



Oh the lyrics. "You and me hardcore, till you say no more". Do you really need more reason than that to listen to this?

Number 27: BEAST - Bad Girl



BEAST's debut song is honestly not bad, but is rather typical boyband stuff. As with all other Kpop stuff this year, expect loads of autotune and rapping. Kind of like a strangely robotically-perfect JE with more macho in them. Slurp.

Number 26: f(x) - Chu



Heavy on the autotune but not so much that they sound like Perfume, this is the kind of song you'd see cheerleaders doing their routines to. Pretty danceable stuff.

Number 25: Son Dam Bi - Saturday Night



Disco! We're all going back to the 80s this year! I want to marry Son Dam Bi's shoulders. Watch her performances of this song and you'll know why.

Number 24: Taegoon - Call Me



Ah yes, the hype that was Taegoon earlier this year. He got loads of attention after being linked with Jaejoong (they're childhood friends) and then some negative attention for not being able to sing live.

This song must be listened while watching the MV, the effect is so much better. Why you ask? Well, because the crotch-thrusting must be seen to be believed. Interested yet? GO LISTEN. (Typical techno-electro-dance pop stuff in case you're wondering.)

Number 23: Junjin - Like a Fool



The chorus of this song with its "do you wanna love love love" exclamations somehow reminded me of the 90s Chinese pop that I used to listen to. This song is pop in every sense of the word and I honestly thought it was going to do well on the charts. Well it didn't and I blame the boring physiotherapy-esque dance moves. Which means no dance moves actually. But still, good song.

Number 22: Brown Eyed Girls - Sign



Go watch any of their performances of this song and you will fall in love with it. The fan dance is just SO PRETTY. Ahem. The song is just dramatic ballady stuff which I guess could be pretty ordinary unless you watch the performances. I cannot stress this enough.

Number 21: 2PM - Again & Again



A subdued dance track, it has some emo whiney bits and loads of emo faces. But hey, if they can be emo and sexy then why not right? Someone send me Junho please.

And here are the songs that nearly but didn't make the list in the end.
  • Number 41: Kim Jong Kook - Happy Virus
  • Number 42: DNT - Crazily Pretty
  • Number 43: AJOO - Wealthy 2nd Generation
  • Number 44: After School - Diva
  • Unranked, but I'm guessing pretty high up in the list: BEAST - Mystery
Can you guess which song made my top 5 for Kpop this year? :D

(I know it's taking hell long for me to come up with these posts and then the reviews don't sound fantastically technical or something, but hey that's why I didn't open a TBT review blog right? Besides, I'm good at dissing people, not praising people. These posts are theoretically doomed from the start.)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 comments! Post a comment! I do this for free you know?