Raid My Minibar: Don't get laid. Get Raid.


I guess I'll just never understand...
Friday, February 15, 2008

... J-urban music.

I mean, I know they're not getting AWESOME sales or something, but still is it really neccessary to go on this "featuring" spree?



Soulja did it first by featuring Thelma Aoyama in his hit song Koko ni Iru Yo. Everyone loved it because the song was great and both of them fit well together. Fair enough.



Seeing as how popular Thelma is (judging from the response of the fans for the aforementioned song), they decided to release Soba ni Iru ne, featuring Soulja. I mean, is there REALLY any point?! It's like a singer releases "Are you lonely" (just an example), which turns out to big hit, and then a female singer comes along in the next few months to sing "Yes I am lonely".

Or something similarly ridiculous.



Then m-flo did it by featuring (or "loving" if you insist) a WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE in their latest song love comes and goes. It might be a cool idea to some, myself included, but the cynical part of me can't help but sniff panicky marketing schemes. Almost like "ARGH WE DON'T KNOW WHICH OF THEM IS BEST TO FEATURE.... Oh wait, let's just throw ALL of them in! There must be someone for everyone right?!" Didn't work for me. The whole thing just sounds... like a collage. Quirky at best, but hardly polished by any means.

And now, to promote Tanaka Roma, they're releasing Forever Love feat Thelma Aoyama.



*headtable so many times that I had to stop typing for 3 hours to get myself a new table*



If you take a listen to the whole song, Thelma Aoyama doesn't sing much at all. All she does is one random line at the bridge and then "oohs" and "ahhs" throughout the rest of the song. Simply put, she's just there in hopes that fans of her will support her and give Roma a chance. Otherwise, they're hoping that by putting a more familiar name in the song title, the public would at least care more about the release.



Now why don't they just think of better marketing strategies. It's sad really. The song is rather decent, and Tanaka Roma has a great voice. True, his previous releases sold ATROCIOUSLY, but still he has TONS of talent and potential to be a star.

Besides, I fully attribute his past failures to overly gay-looking covers.



With better strategies and probably better target markets, Tanaka Roma is set to shine. But at this rate they're going now, I highly doubt he will ever become a success. Does J-urban companies really take us to be THAT stupid?

Labels: , , ,

0 comments! Post a comment! I do this for free you know?