Raid My Minibar: Don't get laid. Get Raid.


More reviews? (Part 2 of 2)
Sunday, April 6, 2008

I just had the worst bus ride of my life. I went up the bus, got myself a seat and scrolled through my list of songs in my Zen Vision to find nothing really interesting. A girl plopped herself nest to me and the bus started to move.

The bus was crowded as usual, but was also unusually quiet. And it is in this atmosphere that I dropped my heavier-than-3-ipods-put-together Zen Vision on the bus floor, creating a loud "BANG" and many irritated/shocked/curious stares my way.

As if that wasn't embarrassing enough, the girl next to me decided to sleep ON ME. An old lady behind us mumbled to whoever was sitting beside her about how daring teenagers these days are becoming.

How is this my fault again?

And to complete the whole journey of disaster.... well, technically I didn't complete the journey because the DAMN BUS BROKE DOWN.

*shocked silence* I guess things like this only happen to people like me.

So here I am with another 3 singles to let go some unneeded stress. I had to split up the reviews into two posts because the previous post was getting a wee bit too long.

So for this post, the three singles are:


1. GLAY - STARLESS NIGHT
2. Utada Hikaru - Heart Station
3. THE LOOSE DOGS - ONE DAY

[The Good]

THE LOOSE DOG's ONE DAY is a really impressive single, considering how unpopular they are. To compare their sound with a more famous counterpart, they would be... FUNKY MONKEY BABYS... without the crack.

The title track ONE DAY displays a vast array of instruments, including flutes and saxophones peppered here and there. Those add interest I suppose, though they are really pretty unnecessary. The saxophone (or trumpet, I can't tell) gives the song a touch of nostalgia/old-school-big-band-ish sound, which further adds to the slightly depressing feel of the song. I could go either way on the rapping in this song, so I'm not really going to comment on that. The musical interlude with the electric-guitar solo was pretty good though. The chorus is easy to remember and is radio-friendly too. Worth a listen if you're into stuff like Yuzu.

The second song U-OH! SA-OH! is my favorite from this single. It's basically folk music, and I was half-expecting someone to burst into yodel. No such luck however. The whole song is very VERY catchy and one can't help but smile at the silliness and cheerfulness of the song. It's a really short song (2:22), but packs a really awesome punch. Very similar to BENNIE K's Joy trip, except way WAY more traditional. Which makes it way more fun imo.

The third song BAN BLOCK starts off with heavy guitars and sounds like it could develop into a rock song... which it does. Pop-rock at least. It still maintains the whole catchy factor that this single was banking on, which I am pleased about. It ends VERY abruptly though, and the whole song is almost just an endless chant of "BAN BUROKU BAN BUROKU!". Could be fun, but I can see how this could get INFINITELY irritating too.

Overall, the whole single can be summarised with one word: retro. If you like Yuzu (really old-school sounding stuff) or wacky stuff or just want a rock tune that is OVERFLOWING with noise, this single is worth the try.

[The so-so]

GLAY's STARLESS NIGHT was dropped as a digital release, which in my opinion was a total waste. Had it been a physical release, I would DEFINITELY buy it. Then again, they just might release it in an album....

STARLESS NIGHT jumps right at you with a bright rock tune and a beat that has you bopping your head along. The level of energy is maintained throughout the song, with a tune that is undeniably more poppy than rocky. I have no idea why it's called Starless Night or what anything in the song has to do with it. I mean, isn't a Starless Night supposed to be really dark and gloomy and depressing? I need to learn more Japanese pronto. Anyone wanna volunteer? Celestia? Kimitsu? No? Meh.

In any case, STARLESS NIGHT is a very typical GLAY track, with their usual rock-pop (or catchy rock if you must) influences. Since it is a digital single, you can either AHEM download illegally or just buy this track. It is worth your I dunno how many yen.

The other track that was released simultaneously with STARLESS NIGHT was -VENUS. Yes, the hyphen is there too. Way more rocked-up than the previous track, this is hardly any pop fan's piece of cake. If I strain really hard, I might be able to see how this could be a catchy tune in someone else's ears. The music is tight and full of impact, but there really isn't much to hum along to. Scream along to maybe, but I'm not a screamer by any means, so I wouldn't really know.

This single is worth getting for one track or the other, depending on what kind of music you like. Unless you're an indecisive genre listener that listens to everything that is. Pop fans, STARLESS NIGHT is a MUST TRY. Had there been another song similar to STARLESS NIGHT released instead of -VENUS, I would have placed this single in "the good" section. A waste really.

[The BAD]

I'm not really a fan of the weird echoey, house-ish trance-ish songs that Hikki seem to LOVE putting out (heh, putting out *slaps self*). That said, HEART STATION's verses aren't that bad to begin with. It's just that after a loooooong while, the verses starts to sound really buddhist-chantish. The chorus has an incessantly persistent tune which repeats the same bar of notes thrice, further adding to this chant thing she has going on. Creepy at best, good in parts, but overall sleep-inducing. All I remember from the song was "Heart... heart... heart... heart...", which somehow makes me think of her as some female ghost trying to eat my heart. Eeek.

Stay Gold held more promise with the enthralling piano intro, but quickly dived into the beeping computerized notes that torment you throughout the song. Somehow, the verse seems a bit low for Hikki, as she strains to gooo looooow enough to sing them. Her airy and dreamy voice doesn't help matters at all, making the whole song sound like an amateur Myspace upload. The song would probably work better without the extra effects and echoes, leaving behind only the nice, soothing piano and her voice. Too digital for my liking.

I suppose if you were a fan of her works all along, this wouldn't be too much different. After all, the apple doesn't fall too far away from the tree. Suitable for people who want to kick back and relax, as the overall feel of the single is very cool and sedated. If you're looking for some fun like I do with my music, this is hardly any fun. Not too emotionally charged either, so your goosebumps won't be making an appearance with this one. Take the crystal meth out and let's just you know, chill out. *sniffs*

Labels: , ,

2 comments! Post a comment! I do this for free you know?